Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Now that we've come this far...

I want to thank everyone who visits this site and reads along. By now, you've noticed that I am anonymous. That is from personal necessity. One reason I have taken the time time to write out my thoughts about the bible in this format is my inability to do so publically without seriously consequences to my personal life.

I have been a member of a fundamentalist Christian sect for over 35 years. During that time, I studied the bible diligently, just as I was told to. On my own, I also studied history, science, philosophy, psychology, and ethics. I read dozens of books about the bible from many perspectives. I've read books by Karen Armstrong, Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crossan, Bart Ehrman, Elaine Pagels, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennet, Michael Shermer, and many others. I've also read C.S.
Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, and many other apologists. I've watched dozens of TED talks, documentaries, and debates on YouTube. I've also watched many episodes of the Atheist Experience, and read blogs by well known atheists.

I did all this to fulfill the command to "test the spirits to see if they are true." After over five years of research, I realized the bible was the "spirit" that wasn't true. Not only that, as Ursula LeGuin has said, " the clothes have no emperor." I realized that at the center of all the trappings of christianity everything was  invisible, incomprehensible, and literally non-existent. I saw that the nothingness is made of pure imagination, indoctrination, and fervent hopes based on a fear of the reality of life and death.

 This blog is my chance to go through the bible one more time, this time with the christian blinders removed, and read it as though it were just another book, which it is. Doing it online is my way of leaving a personal legacy that will hopefully influence others.

On to Exodus.

No comments:

Post a Comment