Saturday, July 2, 2016

Introduction to Ruth

I was not sure whether I should comment on Ruth or Job next, because the story of Job must take place during the time of the Judges, if it takes place in history at all. I decided on Ruth because the thought of spending my summer immersed in Job was giving me a headache.

First I recommend reading the Wikipedia article on the book of Ruth. Notice that the author is unknown, just like all the other books I have covered so far. It is traditionally ascribed to Samuel, a priest who we will meet later. The date of the writing is also unknown but it probably was originally written sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries B.C.E., at least 500 years after the events supposedly happened.

The oldest manuscripts of Ruth are  fragments found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. They were written sometime in the first century B.C.E., at least 800 years after the events described.

The Jewish Encyclopedia on Ruth.

As is my usual custom, I will comment on a plain reading in English, from the NIV, with links to Wikipedia articles and a few other sources. This is because of the modern protestant Christian claim that the Bible is understandable to everyday people, without specialized knowledge. You are free to expand your personal research.

No comments:

Post a Comment