Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Philemon part 2 And wrap up.

We continue in verse 12, where Paul gets down to the point. He is sending Onesimus back to his master Philemon. He says that he would have liked to keep Onesimus with him. Onesimus could have taken Philemon's place, helping Paul while he was imprisoned. Here Paul is guilt tripping Philemon again. He is reminding Philemon of the fact that he is not there helping Paul, but Onesimus is. Then Paul says he wouldn't want to do anything (like keep Onesimus with him)  without Philemon's consent, because he wants any favors that Philemon does for him to be "spontaneous and not forced." Hint, hint.

In verse 15, Paul suggests there was a higher purpose for Onesims's defection from Philemon. That purpose might be so that Philemon could have Onesimus back "as no longer a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother." It is unclear if Paul is actually suggesting that Philemon give Onesimus his freedom. He could just be asking him to treat Onesimus well.

From verse 17-21, Paul lays on the guilt and obligation with a trowel. He tells Philemon, "If you consider me a partner (guilt trip #1), welcome him as you would welcome me (gt #2). If he has done anything wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me (gt#3). I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand (ooooh). I will pay it back to you----not to mention that you owe me your very self (Major Guilt Trip). I do wish brother that I may have some benefit from you in the lord (gt#5). Confident of your obedience (gt#6), I write to you, knowing that you will do Even More than I ask. (Ouch).

As if Paul has not got Philemon's attention yet, he adds, "One more thing, prepare a guest room for me, I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers." In other words, Paul is letting Philemon know he intends to check up on him, eventually. I wonder if Philemon actually was praying for Paul's release from prison.

The letter ends with greetings from many of the same people mentioned in the letter to the Colossians.

To wrap up: Paul never claims this letter is scripture or the words of God or Jesus. He only mentions god and Jesus in the greeting and closing of the letter. This letter does not contain any actual theological teachings, content from the old testament, or content from Jesus's life and teachings. It does not mention heaven, hell, angels, demons, Satan, or miracles. It is purely personal, using their relationship as "brothers in christ" for leverage in Philemon's relationship to, and treatment of, Onesimus.

I'm okay with Paul trying to guarantee Onesimus is not abused. However, I think it would have been much more impressive if Paul had said slavery is wrong and god abhors it. But he couldn't do that, because Paul considers himself a slave to god. Paul preaches obedience of slaves to masters. Instead, Paul kind of pulls rank on Onesimus, making him feel obligated to him.

What shall we look at next?

No comments:

Post a Comment